Los Angeles based stage/screen actress
musician + digital creative
Kate is a stage & screen actress, musician, and creator based in Los Angeles.
She creates music videos and comedic sketches under the alias of weasleysweaters, her Harry Potter superfan alter-ego. Her videos - ranging from Harry Potter themed musical parodies to original songs - have been seen by millions.
As a singer-songwriter, she performs her live music around Los Angeles. She finished up a residency at Molly Malone's in Los Angeles earlier this year, performed up in San Francisco, and has been playing gigs throughout LA. She just played the Mar Vista ArtWalk and performed live on Geek & Sundry's Twitch channel. Follow along behind the scenes on @katherineparkin!
Her poetry was recently selected for a City of Los Angeles street art project, and is featured on a sign off Venice Blvd.
She is currently in development of her EP.
Kate has appeared onstage in classical + contemporary theatre productions in New York, D.C., and Los Angeles. She has worked in independent film, appearing in a Shakespearean short film that was an official selection at the Stratford-upon-Avon 'Shakespeare on Film Festival.' She trained in London and studied Stanislavsky + Chekhov in Russia at the St. Petersburg Theatre Arts Academy (through the O'Neill's National Theater Institute).
She recently shot the CBS pilot The Get, a 1-hour drama by Bridget Carpenter (Friday Night Lights, 11.22.63) with Amy Brenneman and Brad Garrett. Kate plays Smart Girl Intern.
Kate spent much of 2016 snapchatting for the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media: IfSheCanSeeIt.
After receiving messages from young girls when her Harry Potter videos went viral, Kate began to realize the impact of media on young people. She was so excited to launch the Institute's Snapchat, bringing over her younger viewers to see what happens behind the scenes at empowering events, such as:
- The Global Symposium on Gender in Media held at Google Venice
- The Fox Women in Sports Event held at the Fairmount Hotels & Bungalows
- The Eagle Huntress screening hosted by Sony Pictures Classics
- CBS Entertainment Diversity Event: Inclusion Beyond Acceptance
- The Geena Davis Institute Holiday Fundraiser
- The Ford + Geena Davis Institute #ShesGotDrive Campaign Launch at YouTubeSpace LA
All videos can be viewed on the Geena Davis Facebook - and on Snapchat: IfSheCanSeeIt
[Kate also uploads the snapchat stories directly to her own channel & personal snapchat: totallykato]
- on instagram: @katherineparkin
- working for the e-merging technologies firm Revyrie :: she develops apps (UX developer)
Some Magical Facts:
- plays piano, guitar, flute, and ukulele
- alumni of Ithaca College & The Eugene O'Neill Theater Center's National Theater Institute
- spot her in Pitch Perfect's "Cups/When I'm Gone" by Anna Kendrick -- directed by Jason Moore.
- worked on digital marketing for the documentary Equal Means Equal
- while living in London, she interned at The Orange Tree Theatre, assisting with the Shakespeare Education & Outreach program
- trained in Russia at the St. Petersburg Theatre Arts Academy
Some Happy Reviews :)
"If there was ever a video designed to make the Internet explode from joy, this is it." - The Los Angeles Times
"YouTube genius Kate Parkin combined two great tastes that taste more than great together — Taylor Swift and Harry Potter, to be exact — to brew the perfect parody potion." -MTV
"Among the talented cast, the young lovers particularly stand out: Kate Parkin as Helena...Parkin’s body language is wonderfully expressive and her denunciation of Hermia is particularly passionate." -Los Angeles Stage and Cinema, Midsummer Night's Dream at The Odyssey Theatre
Backstage at The Odyssey Theatre - Kate Parkin as Helena in A Midsummer Night's Dream, New American Theatre Company production: directed by Jack Stehlin, dramaturge Alfred Molina
Managed by Darlene Kaplan Entertainment. Represented by SMS Talent, Inc.