Los Angeles based stage/screen actress
musician + digital creative
Kate is a stage & screen actress, musician, and creator based in Los Angeles.
She creates music videos and comedic sketches under the alias of weasleysweaters, her Harry Potter superfan alter-ego. Her videos - ranging from Harry Potter themed musical parodies to original songs - have been seen by millions.
She recently shot the CBS pilot The Get, a 1-hour drama by Bridget Carpenter (Friday Night Lights, 11.22.63) with Amy Brenneman and Brad Garrett. Kate plays Smart Girl Intern.
Kate performs live music at venues around Los Angeles. Check instagram.com/katherineparkin for regular show updates! Her style is ethereal, 60s folk with cinematic & musical theatre influences. A classically trained musician, she accompanies her vocals with piano & guitar. She is currently in development of her EP.
Currently, she's snapchatting for the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media: IfSheCanSeeIt.
After receiving messages from young girls when her Harry Potter videos went viral, Kate began to realize the impact of media on young people. She's proud to represent an organization dedicated to the idea of:
If she can see it, she can be it!
So far, Kate has covered the Institute at:
- The Global Symposium on Gender in Media held at Google Venice
- The Fox Women in Sports Event held at the Fairmount Hotels & Bungalows
- The Eagle Huntress screening hosted by Sony Pictures Classics
- CBS Entertainment Diversity Event: Inclusion Beyond Acceptance
- The Geena Davis Institute Holiday Fundraiser
- The Ford + Geena Davis Institute #ShesGotDrive Campaign Launch at YouTubeSpace LA
All videos can be viewed on the Geena Davis Facebook - and on Snapchat: IfSheCanSeeIt
[Kate also uploads the snapchat stories directly to her own channel & personal snapchat: totallykato]
A company member of The New American Theatre Company in Los Angeles, Kate has taken the stage for several productions including A Midsummer Night's Dream (as Helena, Odyssey Theatre - directed by Jack Stehlin, dramaturg Alfred Molina). She also appeared in playwright Lojo Simon's The Legend of Dora as Dora Maar, Picasso's muse (and an artist in her own right), at the Laguna Beach City Art Walk.
She starred in Emilia with Angela Gulner, directed by Hugo Pierre Martin, a film tackling the darkness of domestic violence, using text from Othello.
The film was an official entry at the Stratford-upon-Avon Shakespeare On Film Festival. Her film, juliet, a modern millenial take on Romeo & Juliet, which she directed/starred in, was an official selection for the same festival.
- on instagram: @katherineparkin
- working for an e-merging technologies firm - she develops apps
- working with LA & Nashville based producers on developing her EP of independent original music
Some Magical Facts:
- plays piano, guitar, flute, and ukulele
- alumni of Ithaca College & The Eugene O'Neill Theater Center's National Theater Institute
- spot her in Pitch Perfect's "Cups/When I'm Gone" by Anna Kendrick -- directed by Jason Moore. She sang her magical version, "When I'm With Ron," from the perspective of a lovesick Hermione Granger at the audition
- worked on digital marketing for the documentary Equal Means Equal
- while living in London, she interned at The Orange Tree Theatre, assisting with the Shakespeare Education & Outreach program
- trained in Russia at the St. Petersburg Theatre Arts Academy
Some Happy Reviews :)
"If there was ever a video designed to make the Internet explode from joy, this is it." - The Los Angeles Times
"YouTube genius Kate Parkin combined two great tastes that taste more than great together — Taylor Swift and Harry Potter, to be exact — to brew the perfect parody potion." -MTV
"Among the talented cast, the young lovers particularly stand out: Kate Parkin as Helena...Parkin’s body language is wonderfully expressive and her denunciation of Hermia is particularly passionate." -Los Angeles Stage and Cinema, Midsummer Night's Dream at The Odyssey Theatre
Backstage at The Odyssey Theatre - A Midsummer Night's Dream
Managed by Darlene Kaplan Entertainment. Represented by SMS Talent, Inc.